Cheapest DSLR Camera to buy Used?


Hi guys,

I am taking some classes to finish up my degree in Fire Science and for some un-godly reason, we have to take a photography that requires a camera that seems to START at around $600 new. Obviously I am just starting with photography, and (at least at this point, before the class) have no interest in photography, so I need the absolute cheapest thing I can find. As long as it meets the below requirements.

I need a DSLR camera with an adjustable aperture (f-stop), adjustable shutter speeds, and that can store raw files.

I have no idea what that all means, I'm just taking it verbatim from the course catalog.

Thanks in advance for the help.

get a Canon rebel xt, or xti. They should be quite cheap by now and they'll take great pictures. They are completely manual if you want them to be.

Answer by Cal on 07 Jan 2010 09:06:23

I have seen the Sony a Alpha DSLR-A100 10mp Digital Camera w/ lens go for around three hundred bucks even used on eBay...that seems to be the best deal I have seen on the web for a good used DSL.
The Nikon D100 DSLR Camera with Nikon 28 - 80mm AF G Lens goes for around three twenty five in good used condition.

Answer by perryinjax on 07 Jan 2010 09:10:21
Best Answer

even better than that, you can find plenty of Canon EOS Rebel (300d) cameras on ebay or craigslist.
probably for about $250.

They will be perfectly capable of the work that you're doing, and they'll be cheaper than the xt or xti

Answer by ERIC on 07 Jan 2010 09:14:02

okay, that's easy. basically any D-SLR can do what you need.

Canon XS brand new with a normal lens = $450 on Amazon.com
Nikon D300 brand new about the same price
NIkon D40 brand new with lens a normal lens = $422 on Amazon.com

so you can get them cheaper in used. look them up :-)
photography is fun and easy, hope you enjoy that class!! =)

Answer by Jin on 07 Jan 2010 09:16:12

I do understand your $$ dilemma but consider these questions before buying used - especially on line.

What ever camera you happen to choose, how was it treated? Has it been roughed or beaten up?
Wet? What's the shutter count? Will it actually work when you receive it and for a long time hence?

If you can't answer these questions up front then I always recommend new.

Good Luck.

Answer by Jim A on 07 Jan 2010 09:34:55

I would recommend you
Nikon D3000 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens
[URL Truncated]

Canon Digital Rebel XSi 12.2 MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens
[URL Truncated]

Answer by niks on 07 Jan 2010 12:42:49

the cheapest used dSLR that I have seen is an eos D30 (not 30D) on KEH.com for about $140. I got mine for about that much. It is only 3megapixels but it does the job (you can adjust the aperture and shutter speed, and it takes pictures in RAW format; it also included a battery and the charger).

You will also need to buy a lens. Any lens for eos cameras will work. I'm guessing you will need a zoom lens with a range of about 20-70mm (around there).

Lastly, you will need a memory card. Since this is an old camera, it won't recognize a card more than 2 gigabytes. But believe me, that's way more than enough. Even a 1-gigabyte card is more than enough for a 3 megapixel camera.

Answer by mister-damus on 07 Jan 2010 01:02:52

I am pretty sure you can get a new one for $600, plus you will have the warranty in full.

Answer by Pancho on 10 Jan 2010 02:29:09

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

    No comments:

    Post a Comment