How do I get sand out of my camera (Canon SD870 IS)?


To anyone who knows about cameras or is technologically savvy:


I dropped my camera at the beach. It is a Canon SD870 8.0 Mega Pixels.

I got everything I could off the surface but tiny grains went under the automatic shutter and in between the telescopic sections. The camera still takes pictures, but there's a distinct grinding sound in the telescopic part when I turn the camera off and on and when I zoom in or out. Sometimes when I'm turning it on or off or zooming I get the error "Lens error, restart camera." Restarting usually fixes it, and it works, but I'm assuming this is bad for the long term life of my camera, which is about a year old and still working perfectly up to this point.

Questions:

I'm basically a novice when it comes to technology. Is it possible for me to fix this myself by opening up the camera? If so, how do I do that? The more details you provide the better.

Should I not chance fixing it myself and get it repaired? If so, where should I take it? Best Buy? Radio Shack? A

Best Answer

Oh my goodness!

You cold attempt to dismantle the camera yourself but more things could go wrong than just sand.

I know Canon will charge a minimum fee just to look at your camera ($100+).

Contact your local camera shops as see what they can offer.

The Canon SD870 is a nice camera and not cheap. Good luck and stay off the beach!

Answer by Mandy on 01 Jan 2010 01:57:30

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment