If you had 2 lenses in front of you, the Canon 17-85mm and the 18-135mm, which one would you pick?


Choice 1: Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Choice 2: Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Which one would be better for just general use?

general? that would be the 18-135 cause it has a much higher range and will work better for everyday pictures, and 1mm isnt a HUGE difference when it come to wide angles

Answer by T-Frex on 30 Dec 2009 03:16:49
Best Answer

Choice number one has the ultra-fast focusing USM feature, for that reason, I would choose it for my reduced size sensor, 40D Canon DSLR since I shot a lot of sports and action photography

I know I cannot use them on my 5D, so knowing that, I might look for a lens that can be used with both cameras, that is to say, a Canon EF lens which can be used on both cameras.

When choosing any lens for your camera system, it is best to wait a little while to buy the "best" or most versatile lens that can be used on the whole system.

Answer by fhotoace on 30 Dec 2009 03:23:33

Tough call, I like that one lens has a bit more wide angle but the other lens goes down to f/3.5 and that can come in handy in low light. They are price about the same......

I would go with the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM and gain the wide angle and the lens is a bit more compact.

I would rather have a short zoom that is f/2.8 all through the zoom, I do not know if Canon has it, but Tamron has a 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II Lens

I answered your question and tossed in something else to the mix.

Hope this helps and whatever lens you get, you make some great images.

Mark

Answer by Mark on 30 Dec 2009 03:30:52

After reading reviews of both lenses, neither lens appeals to me, because optically, I don't think they cut it. But, if they were my only options, I'd go with the EF-S 17-85mm because it's better built and has Ring USM for fast AF and also allows FTM (fulltime manual focusing).

read the reviews...
[URL Truncated]
[URL Truncated]
[URL Truncated]
[URL Truncated]

If you don't mind the shorter focal length, also have a look at the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. I have this lens and am very happy with it's sharp image quality and it's constant f/2.8 aperture. It's better optically, than the two lenses you are considering.

You get what you pay for...

Answer by Petra_au on 30 Dec 2009 03:46:48

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment